RtR

RtR

Saturday, March 22, 2014

Half Pads: Ecogold Triple Foam

I've been searching for a new half pad due to the fact that I only have two saddles to fit four horses and buying a couple more right now just isn't going to happen. A person would think this would be easy for me. I was the English buyer for a tack shop, but that was several years ago and there are a lot of new products out there. As I found products of good quality that I liked at that time, I haven't had much of a need to update very often.

Half pads or not? Thoughts?




I'm the type that doesn't care how much something costs (if I can afford it) as long as I get my money's worth. I'd rather pay $300 for something that I know will last for five years than pay $60 a year for similar products that sucks and constantly needs replaced.

That being said, I am going to research the hell out of something expensive before spending tons of money. I don't care about the latest fads or who endorses what. I want to read reviews, to see testing results of the product in use, to be able to try before I buy (if possible).

So, I've driven myself nuts trying to find a half pad the last couple of days. There are so many out there to choose from that, even with all of the research I have done, I still have more questions than answers and can't seem to make up my mind.

There's a million beliefs out there on the pros and cons of using half pads. I think that it really just depends on each individual horse and rider. My personal opinion is that most likely there aren't many saddles out there that fit 100% perfect. If your horse is comfortable and performing well without one, then don't mess with it. I think a little extra padding and/or shock absorption is good when jumping just in case you end up hitting them in the back. If your saddle is creating pressure points, then it's probably worth looking into. Talk to your trainer, vet, or chiropractor and get their recommendations. (I would always recommend having your saddle fit to your horse being your priority if that is an option.)

Right now I have a Christ lambskin pad and I do actually like it.
http://horsedreamimporters.com/pads.php
I'm typically more of an organic material person, so this appeals to me. I think it has the best quality of wool of any sheepskin pad I've seen and doesn't use dyes or chemicals that can decrease the durability. It's very breathable and my horses' backs don't get overheated (I put it directly on the horses' backs, under my dressage pad instead of on top of it). My Christ pad washes well and the quality of the wool hasn't decreased in seven years. The only problem is, it doesn't really help the balance of your saddle if it is slightly wide or narrow.

Agh! I hate using a pad to make a saddle fit!
Anyway so here are the pros and cons I found through the websites and reviews along with my concerns.

Ecogold Triple Protection Dressage half pad

Ecogold Triple Protection half pad
Price: $165
Pros:
1. Memory foam to fill gaps and reduce pressure points between the saddle and the horse.
2. Open Cell High density open cell foam to absorb shock.
3. Open Cell Low-density foam for extra padding and comfort.
4. Breathable
5. No-slip material
6. Company has a great return policy.
7. Reportedly washes well.


Negatives reviews: I couldn't find many. A couple of people said that it made their saddles fit a little tighter in the withers area. Some others said that they just weren't that excited about theirs. I also read one that said the high-density foam is too stiff.

Testing:
1. Pressure scan- click here for results
2. Impact test - click here  (not sure this alone would make me buy a pad.)

Conclusions:
It sounds like a nice pad, but I'm still not sure. The price reasonable, I think.  Is it maybe overkill? How thick are the different layers of foam? Is the high density foam stiff enough to cause more pressure points than just straight memory foam? Is the memory foam thick enough to prevent this from happening? Will it interfere with the the connection between horse and rider?

I'm 85% sold on it


*I originally started this with the intention of putting three or four pads on here at once, but it is starting to get a bit long. I certainly don't want to give anyone brain overlaid, so I will do this as a series. Next post coming soon.

Posted via Blogaway Pro

6 comments:

  1. Right now I'm lusting over an Ogilvy. I love my sheepskins, but a client has an Ogilvy and I seriously want an 'ogilvy bed' (if only there was such a thing) for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm leaning that way. I haven't been able to find any bad reviews on them. Okay, maybe one out of hundreds. I'm definitely sold if they help the riders back (also) as much as people say. Memory foam beds are the best! Maybe Oglivy will end up making one eventually :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the reviews in this series. I too have been more of a believer in saddle fit vs half pad fix, but as you rightly point out (and I came to the same conclusion myself) a saddle is never going to fit 100% even when made to measure as horses musculation changes over the course of a lifetime and even during the year as winter/spring/summer/autumn etc take different tolls on their morphology.
    If a half pad can help fill the gaps, I to am being won around to trying out the ogilvy as my Princess Kika has a rather extreme reaction to saddle pinching so if the O will help her there so that I might meet her overeaction less I'm willing to try. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's tue that they are constantly changing. I think that, with so many great reviews, it is definitely worth trying. They are fairly spendy, but I'm sure it would be easy to sell if we don't end up liking it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love my Ecogold. The only con I would say against it is that the foam is dense enough that it does give quite a bit of lift to the saddle--possibly too much if you're not looking for a drastic change in saddle fit, or just looking for a comfy buffer for your horse.

    My pad is actually sitting in my tack trunk right now because it was too much lift for my saddle that need just a touch of a riser pad at the withers. If you'd like to try it out to see if it's something you'd be interested in(it's the jump memory foam version, but I used it under my dressage saddle fine), and don't mind paying shipping, I'd be happy to send it out to you. Just shoot me an email.

    I think I'm the only person on the planet that thinks the Ogilvy pads are ass ugly. They're too poofy and sloppy looking for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you! I appreciate the information and will definitely let you know if I want to try it :)
    Honestly, I'm not all that excited about how the Oglivy's look either even though I would probably still use one if they work as well as they are said to.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you reading my blog and enjoy reading your comments!