RtR

RtR

Thursday, March 6, 2014

Oh, the joy!

I haven't had much time for Gunner, our pony-horse at the track, lately and was feeling pretty guilty for not riding him. The fiancé and I have been so busy that we haven't even had time to use him to pony. Here's this super nice horse, just sitting there. Yeah, definite guilt trip.

Quick video from his first show. I tried to upload a better video that shows him when he isn't tired and how well he really moves, but couldn't get it to work. I'll try again today.

So today when a friend asked if I wanted to haul out to Horse Lovers Park to ride, I decided it would be a perfect opportunity to get some saddle time in on The Big Gun. I've missed riding him!



HLP is this great park that has five different arenas and trails that are immaculately groomed. No rocks or crappy surfaces, just a nice place to go for a relaxing ride. It's $25 for a one year membership, which just makes it all the more awesome!

Heading out to the trails. (I stole a yoke and rings from the track, just in case Gunner decided to have a "stare at the clouds while going every direction but forward" day. Yes, I know it looks stupid. Note to self, buy a real running martingale even though I very rarely use one.)


I was a little worried about Gunner going into spaz mode since he hadn't been ridden in months. He doesn't know how to lunge, so that wasn't an option. They did have round pens that I could have used to take the edge off if I needed to, but I think chasing him around one probably would have just gotten him worked up. Fortunately, he was really calm when we unloaded him. The two other girls and I tacked up and off we went.

We rode in one of the arenas first to warm up. Gunner went so well! He was forward into a soft and steady contact and was really loose and swingy over his topline. He was soft and flexible in both directions. I couldn't have asked for better! I'd forgotten how much more suspension he has than Beefheart. It felt like he had springs in his feet!

The Gun was awesome on the trail ride too! He got a little antsy when one of the horses went cantering ahead of us. All he did was jig and prance a little thouugh. I'm not going to complain. It was just a quick ride, but fun.

When we got back from the trail ride, my friend and I switched horses. It was nice to see someone else ride Gunner dressage. He went really well for her. Then we walked over to where a trail course was set up. He went over the tarp and wooden bridges without so much as a glance. He hesitated a little when she trotted him over the 2' log jump, but didn't refuse (he's never jumped before). There was a gate with felt strips hanging down to walk the horses through. He wasn't too excited about that, but made it through without having any type of meltdown. Seriously, what a good boy!

Me and Secretariat. Dressage gear in a western saddle with my stirrups about a foot too short. I'm sure that didn't look awkward at all....


Most of our ride was just walking and trotting. Gunner isn't completely out of shape, but he's not fit either and I certainly didn't want to make him sore. He seemed so happy to be out there and working again! On top of that he was extremely well behaved.  I'm very proud of him!!!!!


8 comments:

  1. Gunner sounds like a legend - what a good boy!
    I hope you get more chances to play with him, what a super star! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks :) I should be able to. There are a couple of shows coming up, so I really need to get him and my other horses ridden more so that I can take them. I might have to work myself to exhaustion, but it's worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay Gunner! Just stamp CWD in the rings and you will be the height of fashion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Good idea! The only problem with that is that the track people would think we raided someone else's tack room :)

      Delete
  4. Yeah, I was going to say that rings are all the rage in the jumper world right now. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Thank you. He really is a sweetheart .90% of the time anyway ;)

      Delete

I appreciate you reading my blog and enjoy reading your comments!