RtR

RtR

Saturday, December 6, 2014

Head in The Game

No brain, no rider.

I had a really good lesson on Indy yesterday.

Miss Priss


Yes, I realize that opening line sounds like another boring dressage lesson recap of the basics covered when riding a green horse. Rhythm, connection, behavior, excercises ...blah, blah, blah. Bear with me because this isn't that type of recap and it wasn't THAT type of a good lesson. My horse wasn't perfect. It wasn't a repeat of our last lesson where little Miss Priss was so good from the very beginning that I spent the rest of the day in complete awe of her sudden awesomeness.

No, it definitely wasn't that type of a good lesson.



Pics of the horses because I don't have any riding ones.


Indy was distracted, resistant, and at times pretty pissy. J, my trainer, said that Indy was having a mare day. I would have to agree. As far as visually, the lesson probably wouldn't have been the most impressive one a person has seen. It certainly wasn't full of those harmonious moments between human and horse that all of us equestrians strive so hard to obtain.

Looking like she's up to no good.


You're probably wondering how the hell I would come to the conclusion that any of this was good.

We worked through it. Today I learned that I can handle whatever mood Indy decides to throw at me. Not only can I handle it, but I can do so with patience, empathy, and understanding. I corrected her, but not out of anger. I was fair, but also not a push-over. I was aiming for the correct responses, but didn't take it personally when Indy didn't give them to me. The reason that this lesson was so good was because I was in a good place mentally before getting on and due to that (plus a large amount of patience from J), Indy and I were able to finish it on a much better note than we started on.

A couple of the other ladies at the barn came out to watch part of our lesson. In the past I would have been embarrassed by my horse being less than stellar, worried about looking like an idiot. It doesn't bother me anymore. Throwing a fit and fighting my horse would have been a lot more embarrassing than her being a challenge. My pride doesn't matter when I'm happy and I was able to take pride in how I handled myself instead of dwelling on the bad parts. I was still proud of Indy even if she wasn't as good as I wanted her to be. 

What I'm getting at here is how our mental state affects our rides along with what we learn from them. Had I been in a bad mood before the lesson, Indy's behavior would have gotten worse because I would not have had the patience to deal with her. She never would have relaxed because I wouldn't have been able to. I wouldn't have learned nearly as much either. The lesson would have become a disaster, a complete waste of a ride. Not to mention money.

She's lucky that she's cute.

I live a busy and hectic life for the most part. It can be stressful and overwhelming. The mornings at the track can be very rushed. We get into a hurried rhythm. The mental part is even more difficult. It's hard to stop thinking about which horse needs what, what rider would fit them, why they are doing this or that, how do we fix this or that, etc. This is a job where you do well or you starve (unless you're just independently wealthy). Period. Knowing that makes it hard to not frequently think about how to do better. The physical labor is easy, it's the constant thinking/worrying that is truly tiring. By the end of the morning, I'm either still in "run around like a crackhead" mode or crashing hard.

It's taken years of working at the track and trying to ride dressage for me to learn how to get on my dressage horses with a clear head, to be relaxed and focused on nothing but their training. There are still times that I fail miserably (almost everyday that I was in Hellbuquerque), the stress of the job and life still wracking at my brain. I'm starting to figure out what I need to be relaxed for my ride even if I can't always do it.

I'd like to say that she was acting like this because she is young and fresh. However, she's being a spaz because she hates lungeing and especially lungeing in side reins. It pretty much just pisses her off.

I try to make sure to get some down time before I ride, either going home to relax first or showing up at the barn and just spending time with Indy and Winn until I'm only focused on them. I'll turn them out and sit there thinking about what I want to accomplish with them that day. I watch them move and look for any stiffness, unevenness, or any lameness. Sitting there watching my horses reminds me how lucky I am to have the beasts and to be able to participate in the sport that I love. Feeling grateful and fortunate puts me in a much better state of mind no matter how bad the rest of the day has been. I'm sure that I probably look like a weirdo just hanging out staring at my horses, but I don't care. It works. Once I'm in a good place mentally, I take my time tacking up. My whole goal is to stay relaxed and calm, enjoying the process of getting them tacked almost as much as the actual riding. 

Getting on happy and focused enables me to take whatever my horses are going to give me that day. I think clearer and act quicker. The good parts are much more appreciated and the bad parts aren't as big of a deal. Not only that, I ride with more patience and even maintain a sense of humor. The horses are usually better because I'm not tense or distracted.


I'm not saying that this works every time or that I can always forget about everything else. Knowing that I need to has been a huge step in the right direction though.

As equestrians, we usually focus a lot on our physical health. Even if we don't do much extra for it, we are at least aware of where we are at in that category. Our mental state of mind is just as important. Recognizing how we feel before riding is the first step to being able to control our moods. Being in control of our moods puts us more in tune with our horses, making us not only better riders, but better horsemen. It's not something that should be overlooked.


Does anyone else ever think about this? What do you do to get yourself in the right state of mind before riding?




















27 comments:

  1. I think about this all the time. Guinness is very sensitive to my moods, and has required a lot of confidence and reasurance from me as the work has gotten harder. If I'm not mentally able to handle praising him and relaxing even when he is being resistant, it's not even worth getting on.
    For me, having a training plan makes things easier. If I go in with a list of things to work on for the day (today: half pass at the trot, canter departs, counter canter), then it's easier for me to let go of little issues and move on with the next thing on the list. When I'm in a bad mood, I'll hyper focus, and that's not good for anyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A training plan definitely helps :) I think that sensitive horses, like Guinness, really make people more aware of their moods.

      Delete
  2. There are only two emotions that belong on the saddle; One is a sense of humor, and the other is patience.

    I aim to live by that advice - but it isn't easy. There's an excellent post on Anna Blake's blog about this - don't know if you ever stop by over there. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true! I don't believe I've read if yet, but definitely will :) Thanks!

      Delete
  3. I am weird and love when the horse doesn't behave perfectly in a lesson as the trainer can then help me work through it & give me tools to deal with it when it happens again as it invariably will ;-)
    If I'm not 100% mentally i don't get on as it'd be a waste of time - although sometimes just getting on could (and does) put me in a good mood, however if things start to go wrong or we get into a tiff it can spiral faster if I'm not in the right mental space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, we learn more when we have to work through problems in a lesson. You're not weird at all :)

      Delete
    2. I am a little but it's ok, I try to own the weirdness ;-)

      Delete
  4. It has taken me a long time to develop some emotion fitness (that's what I call it). I used to have a hard time leaving work at work and not bringing other emotions with me to the barn (ie fight with boyfriend or frustrated from traffic). When I drive to the barn now I listen to the radio and visualize having a good ride or make a plan of what I'll be doing. It has hugely helped me. I read about doing that in "That Winning Feeling!" by Jane Savoie. I'm such an overthinker so doing that helps me focus. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Visualization is definitely a great tool and I find that listening to music helps me also.

      Delete
  5. great post - our own mental strength is so critical for riding success. i especially like your points about not taking it personally. my mare is very sensitive and picks up on every little thing. i will never forget the ride where i needed to just clear my mind: i took a very deep breath to relax - and she instantly did the same. it was a very cool (and enlightening) feeling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That is a great feeling when they feed off of is relaxing.

      Delete
  6. That is a great lesson! Congrats! :D I have definitely noticed how my mood affects my ride. If I am not in the mood to ride and I'm just forcing myself to do it for the exercise we don't typically have a great ride, so I either don't ride or I just piddle around and don't do much lol. I need to start paying more attention to my mood beforehand though instead of noticing it after. Also I don't think it's weird to just sit and watch your horses. I love doing that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes it's good to just admire them for being a horse. I'm glad I'm not the only one that does it :)

      Delete
  7. I absolutely agree that my mood affects Gavin, and thus my ride. I find myself half way through a ride thinking "I shouldn't have gotten on today" if something bad has happened. What I struggle with is how to push past that emotion! I'm definitely going to try to slow it down, as you suggest, before getting on!
    I'm glad your rides with Indy are going well and that you're able work out the kinks with her :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Patience is the biggest asset in dealing with the young.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amen! I think your job makes it harder to be relaxed when you ride because you deal with horses all day long. It's a like a plumber happily fixing his own leak.

    The barn is such a stress reliever for me that I NEVER even think about my stressors while I am riding. If I do show up in a mood, mucking out a single stall brings me right into the moment.

    Riding helps me go home without all my work crap ruining my evening. By the time I walk in the door at the end of the day, I am generally in a pretty happy place. :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have such a great attitude about riding! It should be something that makes us happier, not more stressed.

      Delete
  10. I am in LOVE with this post. I am so glad you two have found some "common ground".

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm still all very new to this horse thing though I know for a fact even if I'm personally having a crappy day, it can't and shouldn't impact what the emotions I convey towards Quest. If I'm feeling too worked up to ride, we do groundwork and lunge or try something new to keep myself and her busy. Usually after 10-15 minutes of just being around her though, I feel better and we're able to ride as planned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doing something other than riding is a great way to go on those types of days. It's amazing how horses can help make things better.

      Delete
  12. Ugh, yeah, bringing my own problems to the barn is a big one for me. It's not that I'm thinking about other things while I'm riding, but rather that my mood and my temper are not where they need to be. There are definitely days I've skipped the barn because I know I wouldn't be in the right frame of mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've definitely done that too. It's not easy to be able to just get over everything else that is going on sometimes.

      Delete
  13. Horses, always keeping us on our toes with how they will act or behave lol

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great food for thought. It is so true that our mood "makes or breaks" our ride, but sometimes hard to remember

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you reading my blog and enjoy reading your comments!