RtR

RtR

Monday, February 2, 2015

The Young Horse Challenge

She was so dang cute!
It's easy to get big dreams going in your head when it comes to a young horse. The
process sounds so simple: start them, train them, show them. No big deal right?

Or not. Thank goodness she has gotten past this stage and the need to lunge has diminished immensely.  I honestly hate lunging so much that I debate about whether or not it would be less painful to just get bucked off. 

Looking back on that thought process with Indy, I have to laugh to keep from crying. NOTHING has been simple with her. First she was spooky, then she decided that filling her dreams of a career as a bronc would be a great idea. She was mentally immature. Then she went through the most awkward growth spurt and I was dealing with physical immaturity. She was spooky, bitchy, and damn hardheaded. Top that off with her being about as coordinated as a giraffe on ice and I could see my "young horse" dreams slowly dwindling away. So much for simple.

Right after she turned two.

Indy will be five in May and we still haven't shown. We will attend our first clinic this month. Her canter often looks like me riding Bugs Bunny hopping around *four footed leap, air time, land, repeat*. Sometimes she still responds to my leg with a giant F U. She'll still find that spooky spot ("OMG is that an open car door a mile a way?!!!" *ducks sideways*)  when she decides that she should be done. She's traumatized by another horse getting within twenty feet of her (I had this bright idea that if I mostly rode Indy alone, her confidence wouldn't be dependent on other horses. Mission accomplished and yet still a huge FAIL). Oh yeah, don't forget the occasional bite on the ass while I'm stretching her.

First time with a saddle and bridle on. She didn't care about that.

Yes, there are still days when Indy is spooky, bitchy, and damn hard headed. There probably always will be. It's just her. Then there are the days when she is wonderful and lovely. Times when everything comes together and her talent shines through. Times that bring on new dreams.



So, I have a bit of a challenging horse. I love her all the more for it. I know that I've earned everything I get from her. She makes it clear when I am right or wrong. Indy has taught me when to be patient or when to be tough. She has made me braver. Mostly, she has taught me to put my pride aside. I'm not ashamed that we aren't further along, I've done what was best for my horse by giving her the time she needed to grow up and I'm not going to get down on myself over it. Life would have been easier if the process had been simple, but what the hell would that have taught me?




19 comments:

  1. I admire your process immensely! A baby, a sensitive TB, or an opinionated mare would be a training challege each on their own -- you have the trifecta!

    Indy is lovely! I'm sure she is a challenge at times :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have done some wonderful work with her! I am excited to hear about the clinic too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My other post didn't show up...weird.
    Great post and lovely mare! :) Mystic is my first mare and she has many opinions and lots to teach me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've loved getting to see your progress with her. Horses invariably have their own timeline, it can be such a challenge for us the riders to work with it, especially with the pressure these days for the young horse programs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seriously this post could have been written about my mare and me! Aside from the fact that my Riva is not a TB :) Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The hard ones teach us to ride the best :) Plus if she was super easy that would just be too much fanciness to handle!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a great post! I think that your patience and willingness to let her grown into her self will reward you ten fold in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  8. love this! i agree that the journey itself is just as important and rewarding as the end results. nice work with her and good luck at the clinic!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think we BOTH know what each other is going through! Fighting physical maturity, mental maturity, emotional maturity.... and then those amazing, wonderful days when everything comes together. Let us NEVER allow Murray and Indy come together for surely they will plot against us and end the world!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Riding newbie I may be, but I think you both are looking like a great team so far! <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have so much respect for those that take on green horses -- it's just not something I think I'd ever be able to do successfully.

    ReplyDelete
  12. She sounds so like Kika but you are much better equipped to train & work with her than I was. You have made huge inroads and i have now doubt you will continue to do so as she adjusts to her new normal that is under saddle work and the life of a dressage Diva

    ReplyDelete
  13. I did the 'ride the spooky herd bound mare' alone in the arena thing too, and it also backfired where she's scared of other horses. it's always something ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  14. I did the 'ride the spooky herd bound mare' alone in the arena thing too, and it also backfired where she's scared of other horses. it's always something ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  15. She is so gorgeous! I love seeing her baby pictures. If it makes you feel any better Chrome turns six in May and I've barely cantered him, can't do a twenty meter circle, never ridden him in an arena, never taken a lesson on him, etc. The list goes on lol. I think you are doing a fantastic job with your opinionated girl! Oh and I would definitely have chosen to longe after seeing that GIF lol!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh and I've had no choice except to ride alone so now he's super excitable around other horses.... Really hope that doesn't bite me in the butt!

      Delete

I appreciate you reading my blog and enjoy reading your comments!