RtR

RtR

Monday, February 17, 2014

Tools of the trade

I'm a wierdo when it comes to grooming supplies. There are lots of things that I'm insistant, possibly anal, about having in the barn. Obviously, everyone needs the basics, but here are my five favorite additions to them.

Apple Cider Vinegar- I mix 1/3 ACV and 2/3 water for a grooming spray. It conditions their coats, manes, and tails. ACV doesn't make them slick or greasy like so many items on the market and costs about 95% less in the end. We also add it to the horses' feed.





MTG- It's greasy, stinky, and a pain in the butt. I would recommend that you use gloves to apply it unless you want to smell like campfire smoke for a few days. However, if you have a horse with some type of fungus or a really dry and ratted tail, it's the best. Most of the horses we get from Northern California come in with nasty fungus. MTG always clears it up quick and helps the hair grow back faster. It really deep conditions their tails and makes them look thicker once it absorbs in completely.


http://shapleys.com/products-2/original-mtg/



 Haas Mini Mustang Brush-Yeah, I'm addicted to this thing. I actually use this brush the same way I would a curry comb, only don't push quite as hard. The brass bristles pull out the dirt and loose hair really well and shines the coat up quite a bit. It's great for horses that are shedding.
http://stirrupsnz.com/collections/haas-brushes/products/mini-mustang


Quic Silver/ Quic Color Shampoo-This shampoo has been around forever,  but I'm all for the classics. If it works, why change? Trying a bunch of new products can get really expensive. This enhances the white/grey/colors and gives the hair a gorgeous, light-catching sheen.



Stable Rub Rag made in England-These are the best for finishing touches and faces. They get the last of dust and loose hair, but shake out easily. Much better than using microfiber or regular towels. Durability is also a plus.

http://www.bitofbritain.com/mobile/Product.aspx?ProductCode=3110


So there you have it. They seem like such small things to get attached to, yet make such a big difference to me.

Does anyone else have any grooming products they can't live without?

6 comments:

  1. I LOVE MTG, also ACV I've used it a lot for myself, never thought of using it on the horses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ACV is good stuff. I've taken ACV pills to help with inflammation in my joints also. I think it helped some. I've used on my hair too. It's hard to believe MTG was originally created for people. Definitely not going to be using THAT on myself though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I really want to try the ACV. I have some at home, even.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just found your blog, thanks for following mine! Am looking forward to backtracking & catching up on your adventures.
    I used to use ACV on my own hair, never thought of using it for ponios, shall try to think to pick some up tomorrow as ran out of mane & tail spray ages ago and haven't bought a new one since so tails are manky - oopsy!
    Prob showing my ignorance here, but what benefits are there to adding ACV to feed?
    Brush also sounds awesome...must look into that as shedding season upon us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for checking my blog out :) I have really enjoyed what I have been able to read of yours so far!
      I don't think that a lot of people know about feeding ACV to horses, so you're definitely not showing any ignorance about it at all. I mostly use it because of it's cleansing affects on there internal system, but more particularly their kidneys. It is also supposed to help with joint inflammation and is said to be a natural antibiotic that helps with infections. I think that the raw, organic kind is much better for them than the cheap stuff I posted above, but we have 15 horses to need, so it gets a little expensive for me to go that route. If I were giving it to only one or two horse or one whose kidneys seemed to be bothering them badly, I would go with the raw organic stuff for better results.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for that shall deff look into it & guve it a try.. can't hurt in any case

      Delete

I appreciate you reading my blog and enjoy reading your comments!