RtR

RtR

Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Half Pads: Ogilvy Memory Foam Half Pad

The popularity of Ogilvy pads has spread like wildfire.  Almost every one that has had experience with them has given a positive review.  I'm not one to jump on the "everyone has one" band wagon, but it's hard not to get high on them when so many have fallen in love.  Seriously, these things are like The Beatles of the horse world!



Ogilvy Memory Foam Half Pad
$199-$275

Pros:
1. Anti-slip
2. V-shaped for protecting withers and back
3. Breathable and moisture wicking
4. Distributes pressure
5.Anti-friction
6. Anti microbial and anti-bacterial
7. Dense air foam inserts that can be added to it as front or rear risers
8. Stain resistant
9. Is supposed to help the rider's back also
10. Custom colors, piping, and embroidery (Even my boring, traditionalist dressage side finds this somewhat appealing)
11. Comes in 1" and 1 1/4" thickness (they have the thinner Gummy Half Pad if you don't like the bulge).
12. The cover is removable for washing.
13. You can order just the covers if your's wears out or want to be able to change the look without buying a whole new pad!



Reviews:
As with the Ecogold Triple Foam Half Pad, there weren't many bad ones.  People basically said they wash well, they like the colors, and that they all pretty much love theirs.  Unfortunately, a lot of the reviews were about the looks and durability of the pad, but not as many talked about how much the pad actually helped them and their horse in the forums and on-line store reviews.  There were a few that were very happy with the results of how it helped though.  Bloggers were better about talking about the actual results (see testing).  Apparently, most horses are pro-Ogilvy.  A couple of people didn't like how "poofy" it looked and once again my dressage side has to agree that it doesn't exactly look streamline.  I only read a few comments that said the pad made their saddle fit a little tight, most were said that it made the saddle fit better.  Also mentioned was the fact that you need to make sure to tighten your girth when you get on because the foam compresses with your weight, which really isn't a big deal as long as you don't forget.

Testing:
I wasn't able to find any thermal or impact testing, which kind of surprised me.  However there were several product reviews from bloggers:

http://charlieandmeeventing.blogspot.com/2013/12/product-review-ogilvy-memory-foam-half.html?m=1

http://truthfoley.blogspot.com/2013/01/half-pads.html?m=1

http://thelegalequestrian.com/2014/02/14/product-review-ogilvy-memory-foam-half-pad/

It's good to hear these, but I would also like to see the scientific testing on them just because I'm a nerd like that.

Conclusions:
It's hard to ignore all of the raving reviews about the Ogilvy Memory Foam Half Pad.  I also had a person, who's opinion and knowledge I trust, tell me to get one.  I do think that it would help with my saddle fitting problem (two saddles, four horses).  I'm really hoping it might help with my back problems.  Keeping my horses happy AND me having less of a need for chiros, antiinflammatories, and those damn cortisone packs would be super!

When I first started looking at these I swore that, IF I buy one, I would just go with the basic white.  However, a white base with black trim (or just white) and gold or silver piping might be nice. Maybe.  Also the embroidery, on the withers, where no one can see it of course, might be kind of cool....

I'm 90% sold.

*Yes showing or riding daily I'm all about the white.  Even riding in a black pad drives me crazy.  You don't even want to hear how I feel about colored polos.  And yes, I only ride in traditional polos or the Eskadron Climatex wraps.  No boots.  Must be some sort of weird obsessive compulsive disorder I've developed over the years. It doesn't bother me if other people are all about the colors, I just can't do it. Yes, I'm weird.

10 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for this!
    PS: Also love the new blog background - stars!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Thank you! I wasn't sure if the stars were cute or obnoxious, so I'm glad you like it!

      Delete
    2. I had a couple questions which I have just sent to ogilvy, I hope you don't mind that I also pinched your thermal/impact & scientific results queries. I shall of course share any and all answers I can hoping I get some.

      Delete
    3. Not at all :) I'm looking forward to hearing what you learn from them.

      Delete
  2. Gotta love the custom colors! :-) I love how polos look, but I'm particular about them being really clean. That means lots of washing, air drying, rolling, wrapping, and repeat... I usually just end up in fluffy boots because they're cute and I think they protect Mr Flails-A-Lot somewhat better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep thinking about all the options and how many cute color combinations I could come up with....Wish I wasn't so weird about my dressage gear. I do think the fluffy boots are better for horses that might hit themselves playing around or that interfere. Agreed on the polos being clean. We use white polos on all of the horses at the track, so I always just snatch clean ones from there ;) They are definitely a lot of work, but it's kind of just become part of our daily routine. If it weren't for that, I might not be as insistant about using them all of the time :/

      Delete
  3. What no colors, you are no fun! I school in a ride-light pad and I like it a lot. Wondering how Ogilvy stacks against it so would also love to see thermo imaging. http://www.ride-light.com/

    Though since Ride-Light doesn't have a show pad I am mainly looking at Ogilvy for one of those. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will look into those. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow this good but ,I like your post and good pics may be any peoples not like because defrent mind all poeple ,
    best rated mattress

    ReplyDelete
  6. Easily, the article is actually the best topic on this registry related issue. I fit in with your conclusions and will eagerly look forward to your next updates. Just saying thanks will not just be sufficient, for the fantasti c lucidity in your writing. I will instantly grab your rss feed to stay informed of any updates.
    good sleep

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you reading my blog and enjoy reading your comments!