RtR

RtR

Friday, March 21, 2014

Happy horses

I brought Beefs and Indy into the track to get them shod and have laser therapy and chiropractic done on them. They both hate being in stalls, but I needed to keep them there for a couple of days in case they need some follow up care. (Thanks for always being my horses' saving grace L, you're absolutely the best!)

Beefimeus wondering why the hell he's at the track again. (I forgot to have Ty take picks of me riding him)


Ty and I have hauled them out to Horse Lovers Park for the last couple of days to ride and see how they feel after their treatments.


Yesterday was sort of eventful due to the fact that when we showed up a girl couldn't get her horse loaded and was freaking out. Ty went over and helped her. Not two minutes after they got the horse loaded, she started wailing over losing her keys. We listened to her screeching for about a minute and then Ty went over and found her keys for her. I know we all have bad days.... hers are WAY worse than most. I hate this song, but "hide your crazy and start acting like a lady" just kept running through my head.

I tacked Indy up and led her over to lunge. Without even thinking about it, I led her over a curb. She decided that it was a five foot jump and then proceeded into bronc mode. I'm putting it mildly when I say that my filly can REALLY buck!!! Holy hang-time! Glad I wasn't on her. Long story short, after another bronc episode, she was pretty good. It was my first time hauling her somewhere to ride, so I was pretty happy just to have no serious mishaps.

More importantly, the laser therapy and chiro helped her a ton. She's been extremely locked up in her neck and hind end. I was so happy with how well she was moving. Finally, I have the horse that I know she can be underneath me!

Beefheart was a little distracted, but overall was good. He was moving a lot better too, but I think we may have to do a couple more minor adjustments.

Today Ty rode Indy and I rode Beefs. I love that my fiancé can not only understand what I am looking for in my dressage horses, but will also listen to me when I tell him what to correct. He's never had any formal training, but has watched me give and take lessons over the years. He's picked the basics of dressage up so easily that it's ridiculous. Though he did insist on riding Indy in a flat saddle due to the fact that he feels too confined in a dressage saddle if a horse does anything out of line.
He did so well on Indy! He had her into a soft and steady connection. She was using her hind end, back, and neck really well. I was extremely happy.

Indy wondering why the hell she's dressed up like a racehorse.

Beefs was totally awesome today! I adore that horse! He's just so damn fun to ride. We worked on some lateral work, which he loves. His leg yields were very close to perfect. We did shoulder-in (off of the rail, none of that depending on the fence for straightness nonsense for the Beefimeus). I always ride him in a slight shoulder-fore, but haven't done a whole lot of shoulder-in with him. He stayed perfectly on our line of travel and switching from left to right brought no deviation from it. He stayed connected and through no matter what I did.

I LOVE this horse! He is such an athlete! Beefs may not be the biggest mover, but he more than compensates for it in athleticism, intelligence, and trainability. I love that he has a ton of energy, but doesn't get stupid. He is so extremely sensitive that if I just think about what I want, it has enough of an affect on my aids that he responds. He's definitely a finesse/tact horse, which is perfect for me. I HATE riding those horses that need large, over exaggerated aids to get the message.

I asked Ty how he looked. He said that he wanted to ride Beefs so that I could watch him go (pretty sure he just thought that riding him looked fun). Ty got on and my super-horse tensed up a bit, getting slightly short in the hind end and his neck. I told Ty to lift his hands and really focus on creating the bend through the barrel. Beefs is super soft. When I ride him, after getting the basic forward and rhythm, I focus on him reaching for the contact with his frame developing through the base of his neck. If I only think about his head, then he curls up behind the bit. After explaining this to Ty, everything came together and they both looked great! So proud of them!

Between the adjustments, the laser therapy, and having to buy a new helmet, going to the Thoroughbred Classic would push me over on my dressage budget....Gunner still needs worked on too.....I need to buy a new half pad (btw Ecogold or Oglivy?)..... $ going out the door left and right....I can aim for the TCS next winter and I'd rather have my horses feeling well (and my head safe), so I'm not too heart broken over it. I may try to hit a schooling show here before we leave or just take a few lessons. I'm just happy to have sound and healthy horses to ride.

Posted via Blogaway Pro

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like you guys are all making great progress and that the adjustments deff had the desired effects.
    If it's not too nosy of me to ask, would you mind musing through your half pad thought process of elimination on the blog?
    There has been so much talk of half pads sweeping like wildfire through the blogosphere of late between Thinline, Ecogold & Ogilvy to name but three...I am curious as to what their purpose is, why use them and what is the difference/benefit to them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No problem at all. I was actually thinking about doing that since I'm doing a lot of research on them anyway. Honestly, I'm more of a traditionalist when it comes to tack/equipment. I don't really get into trends too much, so looking for a half pad as a temporary fix isn't something I'm all that comfortable with. I usually just use a sheepskin one or none if the saddle is fit correctly to the horse. I'll write a post about my thoughts soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like some lovely rides. :-)

    I have the ecogold and it's alright, but I'm not crazy about it. I'm hoping to have the $$ to try out Ogilvy next. Who can hate on custom colors, right?

    I'd always take lessons over a show unless I thought I had a really good chance of coming home with satin. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Custom colors are always a plus :) I think you're right about the lessons vs. shows. I don't worry about the ribbons so much, but I do like to compete and feel like I make breakthroughs at shows for some weird reason. The training itself is still the priority though :)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you reading my blog and enjoy reading your comments!