RtR

RtR

Friday, May 23, 2014

Viva Carlos Blog Hop: Bit it Up

So, I wasn't even sure I should do this one because I'm a dressage rider, fairly traditional, and pretty much boring when it comes to equipment for my horses. Then I remembered I also have a pony horse and race horses that use some semi-interesting bits.

And so, here goes my participation in another awesome Viva Carlos blog hop...


Dressage bit:

Herm Sprenger WH Ultra Snaffle- Pretty much the only one I use. I ride in it because all of my horses seem to like it. They like the regular Sprengers too, but this one even more. I like that it isn't severs, yet they never seem to get heavy in it.

I do occasionally use the Stubben Wing bit to school in.




The pony-horse aka Gunner:
When I ride him dressage, I use the Sprenger. When ponying, I use a half cheek double twisted wire along with a German martingale. I absolutely hate using it, but he can get pretty strong on the track and control is kind of a necessity for a pony-horse.


I also bought this Martha Josey bit for him, but I hate it and rarely use it.


The race horses:
You'd think we'd get a little crazy here, but for the most part we use pretty kind bits. We try to put a solid enough foundation in them that they don't need anything too severe. However, occasionally we get one in that needs a little bit stronger bit.

Most of our horses go in one of these:

Stubben wing bit- We actually probably use this bit more than any other.


D-ring (in the racing world they say D-bit)

Basic loose ring

Eggbutt

Ring bit



Aussie or Houghton


We have a whole box full of weird ass looking bits that we never use.

2 comments:

  1. Some of those racing and pony bits are quite interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They definitely are. There's some out there that look like a medieval torture device.

      Delete

I appreciate you reading my blog and enjoy reading your comments!