RtR

RtR

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

I will survive


The purpose of human life is to serve, and to show compassion and the will to help others. 

Albert Schweitzer


Or at least I keep telling myself that. Sometimes I'm not sure whether or not I can make it through the next few weeks here in good old Hellbuquerque. The area around the track feels like one giant death trap between the way people drive and all of the druggies about. Not to mention, there's enough less than intelligent people around to give a girl a nervous breakdown (seriously, my left eye has been going into twitching fits since I've been here, which is just disturbing). I was done with this place before I got here and I'm now so far beyond that point, I don't even think there are words to describe how I feel. 



It's possible that the area of Albuquerque that I spend most of my time in (there really are good parts of this city) is just so different from home that it's a culture shock. I'm not the type to get homesick, but this place is enough to make me miss that clean and safe feeling that Idaho gives people (for the most part). I think I can recall a total of about three times that a stranger came up and asked me for money in Idaho and they usually needed it for gas which was what they were really using it for. Here, it happens almost daily, sometimes two or three times. Usually some tweaker comes up saying they need money for the bus and you still see them at the same bus stop four hours later. The only thing that has changed is that they aren't shaking as much. Don't get me wrong, I'm a softie and it's very hard for me to say no to people. If it's someone that seems at least remotely sober and I don't feel like I'm getting fed a complete line of bullshit, I will give them some money. I'll put gas in someone's car if they ask or buy them something to eat and drink. However, I have a very difficult time contributing to someone so I can support a drug habit that will kill them and there aren't many people around here that are down and out just because of bad luck alone. My favorite part is when they get all pissed off at me for not giving them a hand out. Or when I'm sitting in my vehicle and they come up and knock on my window, insisting that I roll it down and won't go away. Or when I don't even want to walk into a business because I can see them just waiting for me to get out of my truck. Yep, I miss Idaho or pretty much any place I've ever been other than here.



The absolute worst part, is that I pretty much hate them. That's not me, I don't just hate people that I don't even know. Helping people makes me happy, I usually want to do what I can for them. When did I become so judgemental and lose my compassion? I've had people help me so much throughout my life, I should want to give back. These people have been written off as lost causes, which most probably are, and I despise them for it. They're beyond help, so now they're  just an inconvenience? That's just so wrong and yet I can't help but feel the way I do.



So maybe I'm proving myself to be quite the whining bitch as I sit here well fed, with a safe and warm place to sleep, typing this on my iPad while there are people that not only have nothing, but no one in their life. Maybe I'm insane for even letting the situation in this city bother me. One way or another, it does bother me though. I'm just not sure whether it's on a personal level or a moral one.
 


22 comments:

  1. Ugh, I'm so sorry you're having to deal with that part of Albuquerque. I despise it too. Take a drive out to the North Valley/Corrales and get away for a day (seriously, go ride my horse... Since I'm obviously not...)! Luckily you'll be out of there eventually and you're not there long term.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately! Thank you so much for the offer to ride your horse! If I ever get time, I will tie you up on it :)

      Delete
  2. Aw that makes me sad for you. Sounds beyong just hard or uncomfortable, but something more. Bad situation and environment for people. I hope the horses are helping make up for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The horses are definitely keeping me from losing my mind right now :)

      Delete
  3. i'm so sorry - it sounds like a really uncomfortable situation :(

    we get a lot of that in baltimore too. i grew up with it, so i'm more comfortable ignoring people or saying 'no, sorry' (w a smile!). but if you're not there yet (which i understand) - maybe keep a bag of apples or candy or something in your car and say 'i have no cash, but want some snacks?' or you can do what i used to do and just give them a cigarette or two. they NEVER say no to that (even tho, yes, technically it's just contributing to one more habit that will eventually kill them)

    in any case, every new day means one less day you have to spend there! hope the ponies are a good distraction in the meantime

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so funny that you mention this, I had something funny happen at the gas station yesterday. I'm so used to being harassed for money at this particular gas station (I don't carry any cash, ever) that I kind of have my serious face on when I'm there and I try to look unapproachable. I was pumping my gas and a man in a wheelchair came over and said hello. He asked me to help him pump his gas (which I did) and trusted me with his pin as he wasn't able to reach the pay-at-the-pump pinpad. He was such a nice man! I felt bad for being such a curmudgeon when I'm there usually. One time someone spat at me when I said "no". But there is a lot of good in the world too, it felt good to help someone out.

    When do you get to come home?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We go to Phoenix for now. There's really no end in sight right now, so I probably won't to get to go home for a long time :( At least Phoenix is an improvement though.

      Delete
  5. I also have really mixed feelings about the homeless. We have similar problems here in Austin, so I feel your pain.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have a lot of homeless here and I donate money to food kitchens and pantries, as well as to homeless services associations. Rather then give money I'd rather give food or tell them where they can get help if they want it. Some people can't be helped, especially in California. When California began institutionalizing the increase of homeless people with Mental problems was exponential. You cannot help people who are mentally incapacitated and its really sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is sad. I really need to do some research on the facilities they have here to help them, if any.

      Delete
  7. I've given people food or bottled water instead of money. I told one guy that I didn't have any more to spare but I had an extra PB & J and he scoffed at me that I was cheap, but the other guy he was with took it and said thank you. Whatever dude. Drink your life away, just don't make me pay for it. The worst part is that around here, most of the homeless are veterans. That really sucks :( But good for you for being strong. I don't think you sound whiny at all. You have to take care of yourself first before you'll be able to take care of someone else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true. It is definitely the worst when they are veterans. They've earned better.

      Delete
  8. This sounds like a real bummer, and I feel your pain. I want to help people, but I also want people to help themselves. It becomes a real dilemma with people you think are using drugs to the point where they do little else. I'm sorry, but you have to know that just thinking about this introspectively means you're a good person! Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) I'm sure I'll survive, but I really can't wait to get out of here.

      Delete
  9. On the other hand, Boise is covered in nasty choking smoke from CA at the moment and I can hardly breathe. Don't miss Idaho too much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At this point, I wouldn't even mind that....

      Delete
  10. That's a situation where you can't win, but as long as it bothers you, your humanity is still intact.

    As a newly arrived resident to NYC, it would bum me out terribly, to watch everyone just step over somebody passed out (or dead) in the street or subway stations. (a frequent occurrence) When I began seeing them as nuisances, it was time to leave.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Personally I say a quick prayer for them, but donate funds to organizations that support the under-served rather than give individuals handouts. As an anthropology major I studied the social strategies that homeless people use - guilt and negative feelings are a strategic part of their approaches, so it makes complete sense that it bothers you. It's supposed to! So the fact that you feel this way means you DO have empathy, and you're doing the right thing by being grateful for what you have, and helping out how and when you want to, on your own terms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are definitely good at making people uncomfortable. Very good points!

      Delete

I appreciate you reading my blog and enjoy reading your comments!