RtR

RtR

Friday, September 26, 2014

Wherein Beefs sort-of jumps (w/ video)

Okay, so it was barely a jump. Just a tiny crossrail. Whatever.



*sorry the video is so blurry, I forgot to tell the fiancé which camera app to use.

I've been wanting to take a jumping lesson on Beefs. However, I also haven't jumped anything of any significant height in about six years or more and that was on a horse that did everything for me as long as I stayed out of his way. So, I figured I should probably make sure we could at least handle the very basics. I wanted to work on keeping a good rhythm, staying straight, and attempting to find a somewhat respectable distance.

My boss in Ocala made us canter ground poles constantly. If we couldn't get a good distance or be able to change leads over a ground pole, then we weren't going to jump. So Beefs and I cantered ground poles the other day and worked on picking the lead I wanted up over them. He figured it out really quick. No big deal, but I think that it was good to start out with.

Beefs went really well today and the fiancé asked if I was going to at least jump something. I trotted Beefs over the crossrail a couple of times and he stayed straight, didn't even think about refusing, and half stepped/hopped over it. It was boring to him after the second time.

I picked up the canter and went over it again. Since I haven't jumped in so long, I just kept my leg on and pretty much stayed out of his way. He's smart and can figure it out on his own (it cracked me up that he switched leads over it the first time due to our ground pole work). Me messing with him probably would have been more detrimental than beneficial. 

I was really happy with Beefs. He kept a good rhythm before and after the sort-of jump, stayed straight, and stayed focused on me. We only cantered it three times and he got better every time. I quit after that. The only time he's ever even come close to jumping was when I trotted him over a crossrail a few times years ago. He was so wiggly at that time that it wasn't all that much fun. I figured three good quality trips over a crossrail was a good start. Yeah... I'm not the best about getting into a hurry.

I do wish that I hadn't sold all of my jumping tack now, the dressage saddle doesn't exactly put me in the most comfortable position to jump hop in.

Yes, I realize that this isn't a big deal at all, but I still had so much fun doing it. I was so relaxed and happy the entire time. It was nice to have a ride like that.

Indy and I didn't exactly have a great ride today. It all started when I was lungeing her and the foal in the field tore ass through the trees next to the arena. She was pretty much lit after that.


Not exactly what I was hoping for, but it still could have been worse.

Indy didn't do anything really bad when I rode her, she was just extremely pissed the whole time. She was very fussy in the bridle. I didn't canter her because I could just feel that she wanted to blow. I'm glad I didn't because after I untacked her, she had a pinch from the girth. No wonder she was pissed! I felt so bad, but I'm also really proud of her for not planting my ass which that going on. Poor girl!

8 comments:

  1. Beefs did great! It is the flatwork that makes jumping good, and you've got that.

    Poor Indy belly! Your seat looks so good btw. Glued in there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah, I was kind of keeping myself tied in, just in case ;) Maybe almost too much....

      Delete
  2. awww go Beefcake go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He totally thought he was a bad ass after :)

      Delete
  3. omg Beefs looks so cute over that X! i love his tiny little dressage canter (and am slightly jealous lol - just gotta remind myself i'll get there eventually!!). Indy is looking good too, tho i get what you mean about her unsteadiness. if that's all she does when she's getting pinched tho... good mare!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) I probably should have asked him for a little bigger canter than I did, but we'll work on it. I was so proud of Indy for not losing her shit with that happening!

      Delete
  4. That jumping was awesome, he looked like he knew what he was doing. What a beautiful canter before and after the cross rail too. Cross rails count, don't worry about that :)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you reading my blog and enjoy reading your comments!