RtR

RtR

Saturday, April 4, 2015

Barn Hunting Woes

Finding a new place to board is always difficult for me. I don't know why, maybe it's just intimidating. Or maybe I'm just scared of putting my horses in a less than stellar situation. I'm also a little terrified of ending up in a barn full of dramatic dressage divas (also known as DDDs). I've been incredibly lucky in avoiding that in Albuquerque and Phoenix. The jumper barn I was at in Parker (Denver) was also fantastic.

We will be living in Aurora. See the problem?

With us getting ready to move back to Denver in just over a month, I figured that I better start getting the boarding situation figured out now. I've had trainers recommended, but none are close enough to me.

I think my requirements are pretty realistic?

1. A trainer or allowed to bring a trainer in. I'm pretty independent and don't need to be babysat, but I obviously want/need to continue my education.

2. Stalls w/ runs, paddocks w/ shed, or large turnouts. I HATE for my horses to just sit in a stall all day. I don't care if it's show season, I prefer for them to live outside as much as possible.

3. Good footing.



4. Good/safe stalls and fencing.

5. A trainer or barn manager that doesn't tolerate, and ESPECIALLY doesn't join in on, barn drama bullshit. My dressage horses are my escape, I mostly just want to be left alone or be around laid back people. #noassholes

6. A cross country course or large jumping arena (a place to go gallop). Even I get bored out of my mind being stuck in a dressage arena all of the time.

7. Knowledgeable, experienced staff.

8. Covered or indoor arena. Because I'm a huge wimp when it comes to extreme weather, plus it rains a lot in Denver.

9. Good ventilation and light if they are kept in stalls most of the day.

10. Must be within thirty minutes of us. I don't have enough time to drive further than that on an almost daily basis.

With those requirements, I have about four different options.



A. Fancy Horse Park

Pros:
•Great facilities with about everything you could ever hope for.
•Home to several large shows (showing Indy at the home court would be very, very nice AKA I might actually not die).
•Did I mention it would damn near be perfect?
•About a twenty minute drive from the track.

Cons:
•Cost- It would cost me about $800 more a month than I'm paying now to keep both horses there. I can do a lot of things with that money (a show a month for both horses, 8-16 lessons depending on the trainer, a couple of clinics with both horses, etc.)
•They only have one dressage trainer and about five H/J trainers. This may or may not be a good thing.
•The price might give the fiancĂ© a heart attack.
•The chances of being surrounded by high maintence DDDs increases immensely.



B. The Jumper Barn

Pros
• This place takes phenomenal care of the horses
•Offers a multiple horse discount
•I really liked the jumper trainer and have absolutely no problem taking lessons from him again
•Jumper trainer already knows Indy (he warned me when she was three that she was going to take a lot more time and patience than most horses #rightontarget).
•Great facility with all the amenities, stalls w/ runs, and turn out time in huge pastures.
•The board is more expensive, but it covers everything from grain and supplements (they have an awesome feed program) to turn out to two lessons a month.
•Zero risk of DDDs.

Cons:
• I'm afraid that this place will make me want to convert to jumpers. The temptation is real.
•If I do find the time to show, I won't have a trainer there to coach me.



C. The barn I took a lesson at last year.

Pros:
• I really liked the trainer.
• A super awesome lady that I know from home boards and rides there.

Cons:

•The facility is also a horse rescue, which is great for the horses being rescued. However, rescue horses coming in means a large increase in the chances of diseases also coming in. It would be bad enough to have Winn and Indy get sick, but I can't risk our entire livelyhood by taking the chance that I could bring something from there back to the track.
•They have a lot of kid camps. I don't mind a few kids at the barn here and there, but when you get about thirty of those little buggers in one area, they turn into crazy gremlins running running around like a bunch of crackheads. I prefer serenity whenever possible.
•I don't necessarily love the facilities and the BM's wife chasing/running her horse around a hundred miles in the arena next to where I was taking a lesson didn't impress me. Beefs handled it fairly well, but Indy would probably plant my ass if that happened.



D. Barn that seems great, but I don't actually know much about.

Pros:
•The facility looks functional and nice.
•Affordable
•Only twenty minutes away from the track.
•Dressage trainer and eventing trainer based there.

Cons:
•I don't know anything about the place or trainer or who to ask about it.

Anyway, I'm thinking B and D are my best options right now. If anyone has any info about trainers in the Aurora/Parker, CO area please let me know.

33 comments:

  1. I loathe barn shopping. It's so hard to know what it's like until you are there. I try to take as many lessons as I can before I commit but that can be difficult to schedule.

    Good luck! I'm sure you will pick a great place :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) I'm hoping I can head there a day or two before the horses so that I can check them out at least.

      Delete
  2. I am absolutely no help on advice front but i did want to comment to wish you luck and keep everything crossed for the search & decision making process *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh choosing a new barn is tough! I wish you the best of luck in finding a great place! Keep us posted!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a total pain in the ass. Thanks, I will :)

      Delete
  4. Jumper barn or the dressage/event barn. I board with eventers. The horses go out unless the weather truly merits not going out (below zero wind chill). It's a common thing I've noticed among event barns. They let the horses be horses. But B and D are just my preferences too. I've been to barns where it's been 5 hunter trainers and one dressage, the dressage trainer was less than stellar. Who's the event trainer, if you don't mind sharing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I emailed who the trainer is, hopefully it went through :) I am all for letting the horse be a horse and I have noticed that jumper and eventer barns tend to be better about this than dressage barns typically are too. No worries on the repost, all of my comments have been doing the same.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck with the choice.. at least you have options to pick from! And I see no problem with becoming a jumper convert. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't either other than I sold all of my jumping stuff a long time ago. Damn it.

      Delete
    2. I don't either other than I sold all of my jumping stuff a long time ago. Damn it.

      Delete
  7. Jumpersssssss! The temptation is real!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep thinking it would be fun and then I remembered that I haven't fallen off since I quit jumping. That was ten years ago....

      Delete
  8. Ugh, I hate choosing places to board too. I am not super familiar with that side of town but if you want me to ask around my horse connections about the barns in question, I am happy to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree that B and D seem like the best choices. Eventers tend to be the nicest people, I think (and I'm a jumper rider currently at an event barn, though it isn't a boarding barn). I mean, it would be amazing to choose A, but it sounds like the money thing is bananas.

    I hate barn shipping and I'm not excited about the eventuality of doing it again. For better or for worse, looks like it might be awhile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, A would be really great, but it would also seriously be pushing things financially. There are definitely perks with not having to move, especially when you have an awesome trainer :)

      Delete
  10. I mean, you did post a photo of Winn having a very nice jump... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did :) Have to get his feet lined out first though. I think he'd be so fun to jump, nothing scares him.

      Delete
  11. Yup, B and D. I can't imagine trying to make these decisions without actually getting to do site visits. You're brave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely a stress factor in the moving process.

      Delete
  12. i loathe changing barns and finding new trainers too... it's just... so disruptive haha. wishing you the best of luck! i'd echo what others said to: B & D sound the most interesting to me, tho none of them seem like terrible options. except the rescue one - before my current quarantine situation i wouldn't have thought twice, but now? yea... no fun at all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seriously would be screwed if they ended up in quarantine. Thanks!

      Delete
  13. Sounds like you've got a handle on the choices - can you bring a trainer in to barn B?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think so, but that probably isn't the end of the world. I'm only there for about four months and I kind of like having a little bit of a jumper touch incorporated into our training :)

      Delete
  14. Options are good! And remember, while I know you don't want to move again once you get there... that's always an option too if you end up somewhere you don't like.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree with Tracy. It doesn't have to be permanent. Are you allowed to bring an outside dressage trainer to barn B? Personally I would go with something I am comfortable with. B takes the cake for me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't bring a trainer in, but the trainer there can certainly still teach me a lot. The thing with B is that I REALLY did love it there.

      Delete
  16. Uhg with barn shopping I normally get "analysis paralysis" lol. Hope you're able to get more info through friends and such to get a clear picture of which one seems best. Good news is you have other options if the first place you land doesn't end up being the best fit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true :) I seriously need to try to find the time to make more horse friends (away from the track) to help me with these things.

      Delete

I appreciate you reading my blog and enjoy reading your comments!