RtR

RtR

Thursday, April 9, 2015

Horse Racing Preconceived Notions: Weight

My fiancé and I looked at a horse at the track for someone that was interested in it for eventing. This mare was actually in the same barn as us, so we already knew some about her. She was really thin and needed some serious work in the hind end. Other than that, I really liked her. She was as sweet as can be, tall, clean legged, pretty, and smart. On top of that, she was well bred and would be worth at least as much as a broodmare. If she didn't work out as an eventer, she would still be marketable. The lady bought her.



I was looking through Facebook one day and happened to see that the lady who bought her posted pictures the day that the mare arrived (the new owner had tagged a couple of mutual friends in the pics, I wasn't stalking). She looked extremely thin and her previously shiny coat was all puffed up (she'd just left 75° weather to go to 30° weather) from the cold. Plus she had just taken a very long trailer ride that had sucked her down even thinner. In short, the mare looked like shit.

Not the horse she bought. All of these pictures are of horses that are or are close to the weight and condition that we typically want. This guy is bordering on being just a bit too heavy.


I'm not blaming the new owner for posting the pictures. It's a new horse, she probably was a little shocked by her weight, and she probably wanted to track the horse's progress. I would have done the same.

What bothered me were the comments, not only in just the first post of her, but in the ones that followed too (again not stalking, friends were tagged in them). People were saying that the mare just needed groceries and some TLC, that she must think she died and went to heaven. They assumed that she had been neglected. I know it's an easy conclusion to jump to, but they are so far off that it isn't funny. None of them saw what her life was like at the track, but I did.




This mare started her career in a very good barn. Seriously, almost all of this guy's horses look absolutely phenomenal and are the ideal of what a fit and healthy racehorse should look like. They are fed extremely well. This mare was an exception to the rule when it came to weight and muscle. While I'm sure that she was fed and trained just as well as the rest, I never would have guessed that she could have come from that barn if someone hadn't told me. When the next trainer bought her she was already thin.

The next trainer is an old man, the mare his only horse. He spent a ton of time grooming and petting her. She was given more than enough feed and it wasn't poor quality. I was doing something with one of our horses one day and looked over to see this old man crouched down picking as much grass as he could to take to her, not because he was doing it to get her to gain weight, but because he knew it would make her happy. It had to have hurt him. Anything he could try to get weight on her, he tried. He did get some weight on her, but he could never get enough. Even though she was thin, she still had a healthy coat and her eyes were bright. She was always happy and never seemed sour or depressed.



The mare loved him. She would just stand there perfectly and let him do whatever he wanted with her. His hands were arthritic and the mare would patiently walk next to him for as long as it took for him to get the walker snap on and off of her. He was very kind to her and in return, she was just as kind to him. They appreciated each other.

I will admit that it probably took longer than it should have for the old man to give up on her racing career. However, when your wife is dead and you have nothing else to do, it's a little hard to give up on the one thing that fills your day. He believed in her and she would often show just enough for him to justify giving her one more chance.


When he finally did decide that she needed a different career, he just wanted her to have a good home. He wasn't asking much money for her, she was definitely worth at least what he asked because of her breeding. Fortunately, I believe that she did find a good home.

I don't know why the mare wouldn't gain weight. She probably had ulcers (her coat was still shiny and healthy) and I think that the hind end issues bothered her quite a bit, even though she wasn't actually lame. Maybe track life was just too much for her. I don't know. What I do know was that no matter how hard the old man tried, she never put on as much weight as she should have. The point is that he DID try. He may have made mistakes unintentionally, but he never neglected her and he definitely never starved her. She was probably fed more than 95% of horses that have careers outside of the track.



While there are a few people on the track that don't feed well, most do. Anyone that is competent at all realizes that the horses need good groceries to perform well. Not to mention, no owner wants to hire a trainer who's horses are thin and nasty looking. It's just bad business and no good ever comes out of feeding a horse poorly.

Does this mean that well fed horses always look good? Absolutely not. There are so many other factors that contribute to weight loss like ulcers, illness, stress, pain, etc. While most people do everything they can to prevent this from happening, sometimes it happens anyway. It can happen fast, too. Anything can happen. Just like with any other horse on the planet.


I understand that people, who's only knowledge of the track is what they've heard through the media, are going to have a hard time believing a horse would be in bad condition for any other reason than mistreatment and neglect. Even people that have been involved in racing might have trouble believing otherwise. It can be the case, but just as often there are other factors involved. There is almost always more to the story and few situations are that black and white.



In the end, all that really matters is that the mare is in a good home where she gets good treatment. I hope that she will continue to gain weight and muscle. If she doesn't, I hope that the people judging the previous owner don't jump to the same conclusions about the treatment she is getting from the current one. I guess I just wish people would question more and judge less before reaching a conclusion.

*I'm sure that some of the horses in these pictures look slightly thin to people who participate in other disciplines. I guess I'd have to ask if you ever see a person that runs track carry as much weight as a sumo wrestler? No? Why do you think that is? Well, that is precisely why these horses don't carry the same weight as a dressage horse does. You're comparing apples to oranges.

32 comments:

  1. Excellent point! Everyone is familiar with the "rescue" story, they forget that the vast majority of TBs on the track are loved and very well-cared for. Must be just a tad frustrating for you and your fiancé.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is aggravating. What's worse though, is the people at the track that do have horses that need rescuing. To them I say: thanks for making the whole industry look bad. Idiots.

      Delete
  2. I teared up reading about the older trainer who had her. Like a) I am such a girl and omg all the emotions, but b) *sob* I just love people who love horses.
    But, great points to make - I think it's too easy to make assumptions when we forget these are living animals! Some are always going to look like Heidi Klum, some may be like the friend who subsists on cheeseburgers and Oreos and never gains a pound and some (cough-my horse-cough) will be like chubby grandmothers who gain weight looking at food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally teared up too. It was so sweet and poignant and I couldn't stand it. Maybe I'm having a rough night or maybe I'm a sissy emotional ball or whatever, but that story is seriously breaking my heart. Tell me the old man has something else to live for now.

      Delete
    2. He didn't buy another horse yet, but he has a lot of friends at the track that he comes and visits. I'm pretty sure he'll buy another horse for next year. At least I hope so. I miss him :)

      Delete
  3. I agree with the others the story of her previous owner has touched me, he sounds like such a gentle soul & the mare in return.
    What a pity the new owner took to social media in this way, the Internet is a dangerous place - way too judgmental and everyone knows everything *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! He is the kindest man and doesn't deserve people assuming he starved his horse, even if they don't know who he is. If they knew him, they would know better.

      Delete
  4. Waaaay back in the day, a friend of mine was boarding at a barn when a new horse came in. The horse was underweight and a bit scrappy looking. The new owner was judged for the horses appearance and nobody would talk to her. How could she let her horse look like that???

    My friend wondered what the backstory was so she went to the new owner and asked her about her horse. How old? What breed? How long had she had the horse? It turned ou that the woman had just bought the horse, rescuing it from a bad situation and had actully put weigh on the hose before bringing them to this barn. My friend had reached out to the woman and her horse, and soon they were speaking whenever they met at the barn. Word sread that the woman was not the cause of how the horse got this way and soon everyone was friends with her. The horse did pick up weight and before long, looked really good and turned out to be an awesome fit for his owner.

    Long story short- many times we Don't know the full story and nobody bothers to ask. It's often an opportunity to make a friend. People many times, simply don't care. They see one thing and can be quick to judge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the old man found another horse. He souds like a nice guy and I hope good things for him. It's tough loving horses and seeing one like his mare, that you put a lot into and they don't flourish for one reason or another.

      Delete
    2. This is such a great story! Good for your friend!

      He didn't get another one for the rest of this season, but I am hoping he will for the next year. I miss seeing him at the barn in the mornings. He is the sweetest man and always brightened my day.

      Delete
  5. This is such an excellent point to make. Some horses, just like some people, struggle to keep weight. My old mare was a nervous OTTB. I fed her as much as she would eat, and she was never fat. It was just the way she was. She was 100% health with dapples and a shiny coat, but she bordered on the thin side her whole life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really think that people don't pay enough attention to coat health. An unhealthy horse doesn't glow and have dapples. Weight isn't the only deciding factor.

      Delete
  6. Not that this is the case with the mare you'e talking about, but I know that it blows a lot of people's minds when they go through that fresh off the track, no longer getting 12-16lbs of grain and a daily hour of grooming transition, and it's like, "UGHHHH. OTTBs are soooo hard to keep weight on!! Why don't they instantly look like a fit sport horse?!" aka the Ugly Horse transition. Just give them time, folks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No kidding! I also hate when people think that they can't feed them grain because they "need to come down off of all that hot feed". If they can function after being in a stall on all of that feed, they can probably function on a quarter of the amount of feed while being turned out in a pasture all day. Plus, they might actually not look like complete shit during the transition process.

      Delete
  7. Sooooo ... I wrote this really long comment last night, and the internet ate it. Thanks a lot, internet. Let's try again:

    First: Pig is pretty skinny by dressage horse standards, which drives me nuts. Some dressage people keep their horses stupid fat. Fat is not muscle. Fat is fat. Stahp.

    Second: I love the story with the old man. I hope he's doing well. I've been in the situation where you are trying everything you can to keep condition on a horse, and just aren't able to do it. It sucks.

    Third: I'm with Carly. Racehorses can be really ugly in the transition. They lose all that muscle. They haven't figured out how to put on weight. They need to start building an entirely different type of muscle in entirely different places. It's not quick, and they look so weird while it happens. Eventually they fill out, then people start thinking they're baby warmbloods (I can't get over how often this happens).

    Fourth: Sometimes you have to figure out exactly what works for a specific horse, and sometimes that isn't just plain calories. Sometimes it's a specific type of feed. Sometimes (and this is weird, but happens with people and dogs too!) you have to also exercise them for them to put on weight. My dogs will lose weight without work, no matter the calories. With regular work, they bulk up nicely. Nutrition is very individual, and that's what makes it so hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think people often get way more caught up in fat than muscle. All good points. "Fat is fat. Fat is not muscle." THANK YOU!

      Delete
    2. Also, I got the baby warmblood thing with Beefs. He did have a baby face, but it was pretty clear he was a Tb. Obviously, they have to be baby warmbloods because who would want a Tb for dressage? ;)

      Delete
  8. Thank you for writing this. It astounds me how many people think all racehorses are abused and need to be saved. My last OTTB was very well taken care of on the track. I knew his trainer and had visited him several times. But when he got to me he had lost so much weight from being on a trailer for five days. It happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it does. I can't understand why so few people fail to think about that.

      Delete
  9. Beautiful story about the old man and the mare! I think people are quick to jump to the sensationalized conclusion. It's more exciting that the truth most times.

    I wish more people had access to a truly quality racing operation for a day. They would see the amount of time, money, effort, blood, sweat and tears that go into it. Maybe if the media would show that instead of the negative side it would be a more balanced portrayal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. People are so much more willing to see the bad over the good.

      Delete
  10. Definitely an aggravating situation. Hope it all turns out for the best.

    FWIW, Courage finally looks like a "sport horse" to me, and he's almost two years off the track. I mean, I wasn't stuffing him full and calories and trying to bulk him up. I just took it slow and easy and let his body change at it's own pace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What I like is that Courage never went through that stage of looking like crap. You made his transition very smooth :)

      Delete
  11. A lot of good comments on here. I haven't really known any Thoroughbred to look good in their transition from track to a new job. Racehorses are fit, and they're not getting the exercise (or feed) that keeps them in that condition as they transition to their new life, so they end up looking awful until they find the right mix of exercise and feed that fills them out. My OTTB looked like crap when I got a hold of him and he'd only been off the track for a few months. He's built the bulkier muscles now that we need for dressage. When I have my horse under saddle and working, some people have asked me what kind of warmblood he is. It's still obvious he's a TB when he's untacked (hello whithers from hell), but it's taken years to build 'body builder' muscles on a horse that's meant to be an endurance runner.

    I don't think any of the horses you posted look thin. They look fit. Look at the thoroughbred and TB crosses at the upper levels of FEI eventing, they look like those horses. They're well taken care of and the fitter they get, they get lean and muscle fills them out. It's the build of the horse. My trainer's 3* horse is doing 3 9-minute gallop sets in prep for Rolex. Anything that can do that comfortably is going to look racehorse fit if it's a naturally thin horse.

    I hope the old man is doing well, and found a new horse to love on. That's a wonderful story. People don't believe it happens outside of movies.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pff they all look gorgeous to me! I understand what you mean. I have had my TB for 6 years now and It has been an INSANE struggle to get him to gain weight. Finally he is starting to blossom at the ripe age of 13. People used to judge the crap out of me and tell me to feed him more. Horse gets so much food its not even funny!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really appreciate posts like this because your experiences provide a real day-to-day and in-depth inside look at what goes on in the industry. There are bad apples in every bunch and they are the unfortunately the images social media chooses to aggrandize and capitalize on- it's all too easy to get sucked into assuming things without knowing the full story.

    I'm happy the mare found a great home in the end and it is fortunate she has been in good hands her whole life!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Racing fit looks different than fit for other disciplines - people who have no understanding of horse racing often criticize & illuminate their own prejudices & ignorance.
    I'm damned proud of it, but I've been judged & dismissed completely at times just for my track background, one lady sniffing, "I'm interested in EVERYTHING horse related - except racing, that's just cruelty".

    ReplyDelete
  15. I know the mare you speak of. She looks so kind and promising in her photos! And I know all about tall thin thoroughbred mares. Especially nervous, weaving, tall thin thoroughbred mares. I am always worried that people are judging me on her weight. AND they think the track has "damaged" her brain and causes the weaving. NO. She was very very well loved at the track, well fed, and the weaving was learned from her mother. And if only you knew the amount of crap I stuff into this horse...

    ReplyDelete
  16. love this post! i feel like it's really common for horse ppl (myself included bc i'm certainly not innocent) take a quick read of a horse based on current environmental circumstances and think they have it all figured out. add in some prejudices against racing, and yea... not really a great story. thanks tho for telling this mare's story - it goes a long way towards helping ppl remember to look beyond the surface!

    ReplyDelete
  17. When I first bought Miles he was thinner than I'd like, but like this mare he came from a very nice barn with an excellent reputation. All it took was some extra hay & grain and he puffed right out to where I wanted his weight to be. I do not think Miles was neglected in any way -- much like you feel about this mare.

    Sometimes, just like people, horses lose weight. I wish that people wouldn't jump to conclusions. Thin is not the same as Neglect IMHO

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you reading my blog and enjoy reading your comments!