RtR

RtR

Thursday, November 5, 2015

BC Trip: Keeneland

After our trip to the Breeder's Cup, I'm pretty much in love with the Lexington area. It's beautiful, horses are in the air no matter where you go, and the people are the most polite and welcoming as a whole that I've ever encountered in all of my travels. Everything about the place is charming. The cooler Autumn weather was a welcome experience to this Idaho girl that now spends fall in Arizona. I loved the colors, the grass, the crisp, clean air. Everything. In short, Lexington was everything I dreamt it would be.



KEENELAND

Keeneland is far from the overwhelming size and majesty of Churchill, but is just as special in its own way with a rich history. Its smaller size makes it a more intimate setting and it certainly isn't lacking when it comes to charm.


It opened as a nonprofit venture in October of 1936 with all proceeds going towards purses and improvements to the facility. Basically, this means that Keeneland was developed by its patrons over the years and all of those that supported the track can take pride in the fact that their money was used to improve it rather than filling investors' pockets. Today, The Keeneland Association (owned by Keeneland Trustees, Inc.) is listed as a for-profit company and pays taxes on all earnings. However, no dividends are paid to the few shareholders and profits are still used for supplementing purses, improving facilities, and making contributions to charities in the community and horse industry. It is everything that a racetrack should be in that aspect.

Winner's Circle and Grandstands. Keeneland's previous winners circle was an area outlined in chalk in the dirt on the track after the race. With Queen Elizabeth II coming for a visit on October 11th, 1984, it was decided that having her stand on a (possibly) muddy track and then have to walk across it for the trophy presentation of the Inaugural Queen Elizabeth II Challenge Cup would simply not do. In honor of her visit they held the race and built the winner's circle. In order to fulfill her wish to see a live American thoroughbred sale, and since there were no auctions scheduled for the time of her visit, Keeneland did a simulation of a real sale with all of the bells and whistles.

At least the tickets were pretty....

As far as the Breeder's Cup itself, I don't think that Keeneland did a horrible job handling the crowds when it came to transport, concessions, and bathrooms, but the seating arrangements weren't the best in our area. An owner had bought us our tickets as a gift and had spent a substantial amount of money. He felt bad and was extremely disappointed. We tried to reassure him that we were happy to be there no matter what, but I could definitely see where he was coming from. For the same price, we could have been sitting in one of the chalets. When a person spends hundreds of dollars per ticket they tend to expect to at least be provided with a damn seat. Instead, we were in an area where you about had to throw down for a chair and had no access to the general areas. We ended up not even sitting inside much,  preferring to be trackside rather than being crammed in like sardines in a can. Needless to say, it wasn't the customer service I was expecting from a class act like Keeneland. Oh well, it was their first time hosting an event of that magnitude I'm sure they'll do better next time. Hopefully.


Regardless, we all ended up having a wonderful couple of days and it truly was still an experience of a lifetime.

Sales Pavilion

Times around the world.

Walking ring outside of the sale's pavilion

Where the horses come out of the tunnel and onto the track.

Part of the paddock.

Checking out weanlings and mares. I've been watching the sale on and off and horses are selling EXTREMELY well. 


A little about the outfits (in case anyone cares) because dressing up is half the experience:
My friend and I trackside. I wanted red to go with my outfit, but couldn't find any shoes I liked in that color, so I went with blue shoes and accessories. I still fit red in on Friday with a deep red leather pencil skirt with a matching clutch, a cream tuxedo front blouse with black piping, a black blazer, and black booties with black gem jewelry, but unfortunately didn't get a picture of the whole outfit. FYI: boots, tights, and toe warmers are a lifesaver at Keeneland in October. I didn't find any hatinators or hats that I liked, other than a couple that were $350+ and I'm not going to pay that much for one, so I just skipped it. Everything else just didn't look right to me, I was being WAY too picky.

BC bracelet I bought in the gift shop because of my uncontrollable jewelry habit.

Which is also my excuse for possibly going slightly overboard on buying accesories. The blue stuff matched my shoes though and what were the chances of me finding a clutch to match my red skirt perfectly? And a girl can never have too many jewelry options. Plus, my mostly white and black outfits needed some color. #iregretnothing.

P.S. I don't exactly have the greatest fashion sense, so don't judge too harshly. ;)

Next BC Trip post will be about the farms we visited.


















11 comments:

  1. It looks like a whole other world. Dreamy

    I like your accessories! Love the photos! Thanks for sharing the experience

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like a whole other world. Dreamy

    I like your accessories! Love the photos! Thanks for sharing the experience

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love all the history! Also you look totally smashing, great style!

    ReplyDelete
  4. what an awesome trip! i've never been down that way but it's definitely on the bucket list ;) and actually, i'd kinda love to watch a sale (or at least learn more about how they work)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an awesome experience. So glad you got to be there, even if the seating was sub-par.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cool you got to be there in person for that race!! I've gotten to work the September yearling sale, seen opening day at the track, and been to Lexington for a handful of other trips and it's just as special going back there for the 8th visit as it was for the first.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love everything about this post. The last time I returned to CA after visiting Lexington, I seriously had a small tear in the corner of my eye because gone were the verdant fields and miles of fences. I was returning to a land of desert, freeways, and shopping malls. Thanks for posting the fashion pics. Very fun. I can't wait to hear if you went to WinStar and met Tiznow (Knight's sire).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved Keeneland when I was there a few weeks before BC. You could already tell it was going to be nuts though. Honestly, I loved Lexington and I'm sad I won't be moving there in the spring!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Any chance you sat in the Bourbon Lounge? That's where we were, and tempers flared on Friday, to say the least. Things were a little better Saturday. Over the course of speaking with several people, we learned that Keeneland basically had nothing to do with it. Breeders Cup comes in and takes over. I hope people realize this, because on a regular race day, it doesn't get better than Keeneland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. Shame on Breeder's Cup then. I would love to watch live racing at Keeneland on a normal day.

      Delete
  10. Love the outfits & the whole trip sounds awesome ☺☺☺☺

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you reading my blog and enjoy reading your comments!