RtR

RtR

Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Spa Day for Beefs

It was a little too muddy to ride today, so Beefs got spoiled instead. He already got lasered the other day and I want to maintain the positive results of that for as long as possible.

I started off using the massager all over him to loosen him up. He wasn't all that excited about it initially. The buzzing of the massager didn't bother him, but he was pretty sure it's cord would bring about his untimely death. After I started though, he was all into it. I spent about forty-five minutes doing this.

Gunner-"Ummm....I work three times as hard as him....what the hell?!!! I think I'll sit here and bite him."

After using the massager, I massaged his sore spots with my hands. Then I red lighted him.

He was tight at the base of his neck, his shoulders, and up by his withers. He LOVES the red light!

He was also a little tight and sore in his hamstrings. Hopefully, that's because he is finally using his ass.

It doesn't show up much in the trot and canter, but he looks stiff on his right hind walking. I really worked on the hind right quarter and his hocks.

The colored spots are where he seems to be tight,sore, or stiff.
Don't mind his mane. He's suddenly decided to be a jack ass about having it pulled and I have to wait to finish it until someone has time to hold the little bugger.

He's definitely worse on the left side. 

I'm going to put the Thermotex (yellow) blanket on him tonight, followed by Blue Lotion on his sore spots. We'll see how he goes tomorrow. Knowing my luck, he'll buck me off. That's assuming it doesn't rain more and the area where I ride is good enough to ride at all.



7 comments:

  1. I meant to ask in a previous post; what does laser entail in horses? How does it differ from chiro/osteo etc?
    Sorry for stupid questions *blush*

    Hope the Beefmeister appreciates all you're doing for him & continues his progress without antics :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is actually used a lot in conjunction with the chiropractic. The very basic rundown is that it increases circulation, decreases inflammation, and also releases endorphins. It can be used on tendons, feet, joints, cuts, muscles, and several other things. I really like when it is used with before a chiropractic is done as the adjustments seem to last longer and the horses are less likely to be sore from the adjustments. I like that it addresses any inflammation, injuries, or soreness in the muscles.

      There are several different levels of lasers. The really high powered ones require certification, as they can be dangerous. Our equine therapist in Phoenix has one that required her to be certified, but she doesn't use it much. The other one she has is really safe and seems to work as we'll as the other. She lasered my back once. I was normally a twice a week chiro person and after she worked on me, I didn't need the chiro for about three months.

      Perfectly legitimate questions :) I think Beefs enjoyed it. He was way chill and relaxed. On the border of lazy actually, which is rare for him..

      Delete
  2. Oh fancy tools. I have no idea how to use (or get) either of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how to used the lasers, but the red light is pretty much dummy proof :) There's so many different lasers out there, it's hard to know which ones actually work and which ones are safe. There's a ton on line. The red lights too. They're usually a lot cheaper :)

      Delete
    2. The massager is just a chep one from Target :) It actually works really well.

      Delete
  3. Yes, nothing like getting a horse to feel really good... heh. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I got him a little too relaxed. He was a little lazy today :)

      Delete

I appreciate you reading my blog and enjoy reading your comments!