RtR

RtR

Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Cursed

Okay, I don't really think I'm cursed. However, this year is not off to a great start so far and it's really messing with my riding schedule.
Craptacular quality pic #1


Here's why:

1. Grandpa goes to the hospital.

2. Dad comes to visit Grandpa.

The Fiancé and Dad talking.

3. Have to drive Dad AND the Fiancé everywhere because the starter went out in the Ford, leaving us with just one vehicle. The Fiancé has had no time to fix it because he has had to do most of the barn work so that I could take care of Grandpa and Dad.

4. Dad has little patience to hang out with me while I ride. I guess I don't blame him, I'm sure that it's boring for him.

5. The Fiancé gets really sick.

This concoction didn't work. At all.


6. I get really sick.

Now, I'm not trying to feel sorry for myself. More than anything I'm just frustrated. Having just one or two of these things happen at the same time would be easy to handle and I could get quite a bit of riding in. Having several of them happening and overlapping each other is like taking one punch after another. It's feeling like it isn't ever going to end.

DAMN IT! I JUST WANT TO RIDE!!!!

#2


Anyway, I did manage to sneak in a ride on Indy and Winn last Thursday and an awesome lesson on Friday. *Oh yeah, Winn was REALLY foot sore after getting shod this time, so that ride didn't entail much.

The lesson on Indy was very encouraging. Every time that I ride her she does something so well that I am increasingly leaning towards her being the most talented horse I've ever owned. Her movement gets bigger all the time. I can now ask for more and she gives it to me instead of letting me know that she would like for me to piss off. We really worked on coming through behind and the connection in this lesson and it was by far the most connected that Indy has ever felt. It takes a while for us to get warmed up, for everything to come together, but when it does...WOW!

And #3


I now feel like I have made the right decisions with Indy. You can't force this filly to do anything, she fights back. I'm not saying I didn't have to get after her some, I did. Only when she was just flat out being nasty though. Never because of a lack of understanding. Once we established the lines that were not going to get crossed, things have gone fairly smooth. I correct her when I need to and make a huge deal of rewarding her for everything she does right. Indy loves praise, she thrives off of it. We are slowly building a mutual respect for each other and every ride she tries a little harder for me. I'm glad that I didn't push for anything that she wasn't ready for. It was worth the wait.

She's really just in it for the food.


Indy has taught me so much already. I have to ride every single step, but when I do she gives me what I want. She will be a great school master one day as riding her highlights every flaw or correctness in position and timing. There is no in the middle. You're either right or wrong and she lets you know either way.


My trainer said that Indy and I have a bright future ahead of us. I'm finally starting to think so too. In the meantime I'm going to spend my time keeping my throat numb (it freaking burns like Hell) by eating more popsicles than I've had throughout my entire life and hope that I don't die from a sugar high.


18 comments:

  1. You've had a lot thrown at you this year - I'm sorry. It'll be okay though. Hang in there! There is light at the end of the tunnel, and it's not an oncoming train.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i hope everything with your family improves soon and that you're all back to feeling 100%!! in the meantime - i am SO happy to hear that things with Indy are really clicking! nice work of sticking with her and bringing out her best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay progress with Indy! Boo about the rest of the stuff. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rough start. Sorry. Yay for Indy love! And good that you believe in your future with her. Hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry you're sick. It took me forever to get over my nasty rhino-virus. I hope your sickness doesn't last as long!

    Love everything you're saying about Indy. All those quirks are exactly what I love and look for in a horse. Guinness responds so positively to praise that simple verbal praise makes him a much more confident horse. It tempers the frustration I get when he's being supremely sensitive and picky.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad there's one bright spot at least. The value of praise can't be underestimated. Hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those pictures are fabulous, looks like Indy is really starting to mature! I'm so sorry you have had to deal with so much, fingers crossed life starts to settle down!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am loving the fact that you and Indy are becoming more and more of a team.

    I'm not loving the fact that 2015 hasn't been so kind ot you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad to hear about Indy and all her progress! Such a pretty girl. 2015 will get better soon, I hope.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry to hear that 2015 has started rather sucky, fingers crossed it only gets better from here. At the same time i am delighted to read about the Indy breakthrough, you guys & Winn are going to kick major butt & take names this year *swoon*

    ReplyDelete
  11. Indy sounds like she will be well worth any effort you have to put in to her. :) Feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ugh!!! When it rains it pours.. hope things start turning around soon for you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope things start to go more smoothly soon. Indy is adorable :) Happy to hear she is making progress.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, you guys are looking awesome and it sounds like you are learning a ton! Glad you and Indy are figuring things out!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is an awful lot going on, hope everyone is healthy and life gets easier soon!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Think about it this way, get all the crappy sh*t over with so the rest of the year can be AMAZE-BALLS! :) And I think I love Indy more and more every time I read about her.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow I'm sorry the year has started off so horribly! Hopefully you got it all of of the way so that the rest will be smooth sailing! I'm glad things are coming together so well with Indy!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you reading my blog and enjoy reading your comments!